View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #374 (permalink)
LunaZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Project: a white one
LunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond reputeLunaZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
I was so up in the air about choosing either a 35mm or a 50mm, both f1.8. I ordered the 50mm and cancelled it like 5 min later cause I feared it may be a little much for shooting indoors. Do you ever feel that way??
Yes and no. It's not great for shooting the person sitting next to you, but for portraiture, that focal length combined with a crop frame camera puts you at a distance that makes the model comfortable while still filling the frame and providing a lot of detail. About 6' of distance from the model gives you a head and upper torso shot. When I have to use a camera mounted speedlight, I like being able to get a little further away because it softens the effect of the flash (I also use a soft box on my flash).
that's not to say that you can't get close with the 50mm. If you go back and look at the photos I've been posting here, most of them were done with the 50mm mounted on my old 10D. If I could carry only the lens mounted on my camera, the 50mm would be the one I would choose 9 times out of 10 for the subject matter I shoot (models and beer?).

This shot of Max was taken from about 26" away.
I could stand to stop it down a bit as his whiskers go out of focus as they curve towards or away from the camera, but I'm kind of digging the softness these low f-stops are giving me. Plus, a higher stop would mean either a slower shutter speed or higher ISO or both, or adding artificial light.

Canon 7D | 50mm f/2.5 | 0.3 sec | ISO 500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg max_IMG_0115.jpg (113.0 KB, 92 views)

2009 370Z Sport/Touring/Navigation | see my journal for mods
facebook: Be my friend... or not.

Last edited by LunaZ; 12-31-2011 at 12:44 PM.
LunaZ is offline   Reply With Quote