View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiontrader View Post
Yes, I believe the benefits of DI would outweigh the (seemingly) surmountable technical issues that are plaguing some current versions on the street right now. I have heard of the Audi powerplant issues, but that's pretty much it. Many other high-performance OEM makers are doing DI with apparently no issues.

Good to hear it may be coming to the G/Z, but still confounded by the lack of DI in the GT-R (or plans thereof). Understand the R&D costs on that engine were significant, but am curious on the design decision not to include.
If everything is true about Mercedes, Renault and Nissan sharing development of power plants then VQ likely won't see any further development. I was surprised to not see DI in 2013 G previewed at auto shows. That to me signals an end of the VQ platform.

It wouldn't make sense to put any more money into VQ DI if they are spending money on Mercedes developed power plants. They will likely just do minor mods to current motor for 2013 and perhaps 2014. We have seen it before in Z33 platform where car really didnt change much during several year production run.

for selfish reasons I hope they don't come out with a DI VQ motor and stay with current motor until the next Z platform is introduced. That will give us more cars with same motor and help VQ aftermarket here in the US. Although sales of z34 will likely slow with more competition. The FT 86 from Toyota will slow Z sales for sure.

I can't wait to see what Renualt/Nissan have planned for next Z. I just hope they make one!

So I wonder if we will have the last Z with Nissan developed and built power plant?
Shamu is offline   Reply With Quote