View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #44 (permalink)
AlphaSnacks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 XKR-S, '10 370Z
AlphaSnacks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post
The 350z and 370z have similar names and similar features such as vdc and traction control but the cars are very different with a different engine, platform, automatic transmission, and vdc.

I don't think the 7 speed is the same 5 speed transmission with two more gears and a new torque converter just because they both have down shift rev match and asc. Also, the 7 speed doesn't require fluid change and weighs a bit more than the 5 speed. I think transmissions get completely redesigned to have better performance, durability, and efficiency, just as cars do.

The 5 speed was very slow to shift and the shift time wasn't consistent. I'm guessing this was because the 5 speed wasn't designed from the beginning to shift quickly.

The pictures shows two different transmissions.

What are you talking about? First of all, nowhere does it say that the torque converters are different between the two transmissions. You should learn how to read, it says the logic (programming) is different. Whether or not the TCs are different would require a product search to validate - I'm sure there are differences, but I highly doubt they are dramatic. And once again, I didn't say the transmissions are the same with two extra gears in the 7AT. But there is no question that the basis for the 7AT is largely based on the original 5AT. In fact, if you look at Nissan's parts catalog, you will notice critical components like the transmission oil pan have the exact same part number for the 370Z and 2006+ 350Z automatics, as do the oil coolers. Unfortunately, I can't find the part number for the 370Z or G37's TC.

And you're also very wrong about the shift times of the 5AT. It was every bit as fast to shift as the current 7AT. How exactly is the shifting below very slow:

350z 0-90 - YouTube

Have you ever even owned or driven a 5AT 350Z for more than a few days? Because I owned one. And I've driven 7AT 370Zs tons of times, as well.
AlphaSnacks is offline   Reply With Quote