View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #79 (permalink)
SiRay6
Base Member

Drives: 12 370z Gunmetal 6MT
SiRay6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
Stainless lines are rubber on the inside just like an OEM, but they are stiffer and stronger. Stainless is definitely preferred as they are more durable, but don't use cheap lines or you could be in a worse place than you started - they are only as good as the crimp.

At an event this year a car had "custom" SS lines installed, however (unbeknownst to him) the lines were just slightly too short causing them to rub against the edge of the wheel in certain turns. Ever lap the wheel weights were gradually nicking through the line, and then finally cut through. Finally the driver goes for the brakes at 90 mph and the pedal goes to the floor without warning, heading straight for a tire wall. The driver did a good job of threading the needle through a not quite wide enough escape opening, but took some significant body damage in the process.
All the SS brake lines I've ran had nylon or something like that underneath the SS braids? I've had SS braided oil lines with rubber underneath, but not for brakes?

Good suggestion on checking the rubbing of the brake lines if he decides to change to SS lines later on.

I've seen SS brake lines fail at tracks/time attacks too (either Russel or Earl's)...I use to always bring an extra set of SS brake lines with me to the track just to be cautious, but never had issues thankfully.

SS brake lines are more about feel as rubber lines can flex...but since this is his first track day and his car is fairly new, I wouldn't say it is necessary now, but definitely something to consider if he likes hpde's and is going to get more into it. Regardless, a thorough inspection of the car should be done in between sessions regardless what parts/brands are used.

-Ray

Last edited by SiRay6; 12-09-2011 at 01:07 PM.
SiRay6 is offline   Reply With Quote