View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
ZKindaGuy
Track Member

Drives: 370Z-AT7 Tour+Sport
ZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280z/300zx View Post
Maybe someone can clear this up but it seems that when people dynoed individualy these mods that there were gains of 15+hp. However from what I've been seeing from people like you who have all these mods put on and then dynoed it seems the total hp gain from intake, exhuast, and HFC is around 25. I know ricer math doesn't apply but I would have thought with all the good gains we've seen from these mods individually that there would be more than a ~25hp gain total.

To the OP, nice numbers and nice Z.
The old rule we sometimes hear that "the whole is equal to the sum of the individual parts" does NOT hold for mods. With modding the whole usually does not equal the sum of the individual mods. It all depends on how well the design of each manufacturer's part plays in combo with another manufacturer's part design. I have had times when one CAI and exhaust combo made 27 HP and then I switched out just the axle-back and actually lost 8 HP but gained about 6 ft-lbs in TQ. Some mod combos work well with each other and some don't so that is why one cannot rely on any "sum of the parts" rule.

For me I just wait and read the results of other people who spend their cash looking for "power" nirvanna. Once I read about a certain combo that shows great gains for someone that is the one I usually go for. But I also understand that putting this particular combo on my car isn't a guarantee that on my car it will show the same results as the person I read about. It just means that the odds are in my favor that the results will be spot-on or near spot-on.

There is always a "crap-shoot" factor I stay aware of when doing a particular combination of mods so I don't get too disappointed if the results are less than proven by someone else.

Last edited by ZKindaGuy; 08-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.
ZKindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote