View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #69 (permalink)
Sand123
Base Member

Drives: Mazdaspeed3
Sand123 is on a distinguished road

After reading through these 5 long pages, I feel like I need to submit my own opinion to tamper some of the dissention going on here. I currently drive a Mazdaspeed 3 (not a Mazda 3, like some have posted, that is a completely different car) and I carpool with a friend who drives an 06 Porsche Cayman S. I have also test driven and been looking at the 370Z.

I have driven all three of these cars. I am considering buying a 370Z which is why I am on this forum, and I am not "TROLLING" like Mook has been accused of. I do have to agree with Mook on the point that the Mazdaspeed3 (with minor bolt-ons makes close to 300 bhp) "feels" a bit faster than the 370Z and Cayman S because of the extra torque and more linear power delivery. However, the Cayman S is the better car (and faster car, though it did run a slower lap time than my MS3 at the autocross . I've enjoyed driving the Porsche because of the RWD, and for that reason I test drove the Z recently, and have been considering trading in my Mazdaspeed3 for that car. It is mainly a function of having the rear wheel drive. As far as motor is concerned, I still prefer the MS3 motor (keeping in mind that I do have the bolt-on intake and midpipe which makes some extra power) because of the sheer wave of torque that it produces. But I like the RWD of the Z, and the shorter wheel base and handling characteristics. So overall I'm torn, and am having a difficult time choosing.

There seems to be a pretty biased feeling of superiority among Z owners against other manufacturers like Mazda, Honda, etc. The Mazdaspeed3 IS a great sports car; if you don't agree, check out the reviews on Automobile and Car and Driver. "This is a sports car folks, hang on and enjoy it," are the words from one article that I remember best. I know Z owners feel like they are in a different league, but you're still talking about cars that fall into the 25K to 30K price range and offer similar power to weight numbers. The Z is not a Ferrari and it is still a logical competitor against cars like the MS3 and WRX, STI, G37, Evo, etc. 30K will buy you any one of these cars.

I had dismissed the Z previously because the 350 was a slower car than the MS3 as far as power to weight and track times are concerned. But I love that the new 370Z is lighter AND stronger. So I am back in the market. But I just want to shed some light on this argument, and remember, never underestimate the competition!

Last edited by Sand123; 08-05-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Sand123 is offline   Reply With Quote