View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
ResIpsa
Track Member

Drives: 09 RACING HEN
ResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Z1 View Post
In reality you do want the brake duct aimed at the center of the disc, not a single disc face. You concerns are correct here.

The idea of a brake duct is so that the air is channeled into the middle of the disc, scooped up by the internal vane design (between the disc faces), passed between the disc faces and out around the perimeter of the disc. As the air passes between the disc faces it extracts heat evenly from both faces. If you cool the brake pads unevenly, it can cause the brake pads to be less effective.

In addition, having the duct aimed properly will also help keep the wheel bearings cool and hopefully prolong their service life.

Something to also pay attenion to is the rotation direction of your rotors. You want it so that it scoops air from the inside and expells it outward. If you have this backwards it will prevent the ducts from doing their job as effectively. Stock 370Z rotors are not directional, but this is something to pay attenion to if you ever upgrade to a BBK or aftermarket set of rotors with directional vanes.
The big problem I had ducting the air to the center of the rotor is the design of our front suspension. Our cars have a massive aluminum spindle taking up all the space in the center of the rotor.

My design does route some air at the face of the rotor but the majority of the duct is inside the rotor.

And yes, my rotors are backward. However, they are not directional. I noticed this after I had already installed everything and was just too lazy to take everything apart again.