View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #90 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzZz View Post
For it's price, we all know the Z performs great #'s wise (straightline and ever more so in the corners) and it even improves upon the 350z in every way, but there is something more to be desired in terms of the overall driving experience. In creating something better than the 350z, something was lost along the way. What the 350z had was a living aura. Even if it performed worse, it felt alive. This 370z, while super quick and precise, feels cold - almost ghostly.

Care to express your thoughts on the Z's driving feel? What do other members here who own a 370z think? How does your driving experience compare vs prior cars; BMW, Mini, Mazda, Subaru, Porsche, Audi, Volkswagen, Honda, Mercedes?

Having driven 33,000 miles since Feb. 2009, I'll start first.

Many car reviewers complained about NVH, road noise, and the high-rpm engine ruckus. It's more than that. To try and put it into words...

- I've got to drive 8+/10 of the car's limit (acceleration/corners) to really enjoy it. For those times I'm just cruising, if there's traffic, or if I just want to chill, I don't enjoy driving the car at all and it becomes more of a chore. Like a caged wild beast, it's just dying to roam free. It seems like it's really not in the car's personality to enable the driver just to sit back, drive casually, appreciate "all its' little things', and enjoy the ride. I'm not talking about creature comforts here, more about the general lack of "sports car refinement" in the feel and acoustics of the car pertaining to the powertrain, intake, exhaust, suspension, shifter, throttle, on and on. Something's missing... like the body is there but the soul is not.

Some may just brush it off and say "it's a sports car - it's supposed to be like that". However...

- There is some sort of manufactured artificial feel to it that makes me feel disconnected from the road and driving experience. A sports car should not be like this. It's like going at it bare-back vs. going at it solo WITH a condom if you know what I mean. There's just a certain numbness and fakeness to it. I'm not sure if its the suspension or chassis tuning, engine/throttle response. Now I'm 100% stock so those of you that are modified feel free to chime in here.

- It would've been ideal if the driving experience felt like it was more than what the performance #'s shows on paper. In that regards, a little more like a BMW.

- Smooth roads are great but... There is a general lack of suspension/chassis tuning and refinement on non-smooth roads. Any type of highway bridge joints or just general uneven pavement makes the car twitchy & jittery and feel sloppy cornering. It's borderline nasty and makes me dread the noises and feel of it.

- It's been well talked about on Edmunds Inside Line and other automobile blogs/reviews, that given a choice between a garage full of other cars and the Z, the Z is one of the last one out of the garage. Everybody knows what awesome performance and beautiful exterior the Z has but I feel Nissan's design decisions & sacrifices in search for performance #'s for $30k totally lends itself to NOT being a more well-rounded sports car.

It's almost as if the 370z is designed to be a 3rd car, one for the weekends where you really couldn't give a sh!t driving balls to the walls like a madman. If they really wanted to go all out on performance and chase #'s, go all out and forget all the creature comforts and compromises like emissions, MPG, muffling the intake/exhaust, trying to make the car smoother. Be a brutish, crass, unrefined hardcore mofo - don't even attempt to hide it! It should be like a stripped down POWER version of what S2000 stands for in terms of handling .... and do it well. A 375HP/380TQ "Japanese Muscle Car" that can handle the corners a bit. Then there would be no trying to mask it as a sports car. We would all know what it is.

Does it suffer an identity crisis and lack focus? Is that why sales of the 370z suck so badly? You can mention the weak economy but lots of other cars like the new Muscle Cars are selling well. I chalk it up to being lifeless and unable to stir the emotions of the marketplace.

Or is it really just me?!

Happy
Dude... same thing I feel. I saw F&F and said, "dude, jdm is the shizznit. So I bought a spanking new jdm-mobile. My neighbors thought I was hot and my steering felt like the best thing since sliced bread. It really helped car mags were praising the Z for being the best performance buy on the market. I felt really good about myself and my purchase.
Then some time in the middle of 2010, Z reviews went down the tubes and car forums weren't as jealous as they were in 09? To my disappointment, the Z is no longer the Ace Bro cool of automobiles. It began to feel poserish.
So one night I was home bored and I wanted to watch a movie... I rented transporter 1 thru 3. That's when I realized, maybe there's something to german cars? I began reading corporate sponsored mags and going to german car blogs. I made a new friend at the job that owned a M3. He let me drive one.

That's when I knew I was driving a LIFELESS pos. I was like how can I have spent the last 16 years driving jdm when I could have been driving german aryan perfection. I know those cars are $50k more than mine. They stay in the shop more than peoples garage. But the steering is so full of life. And those darn asians. They just can't build a sports car. All your points hit like home. THANKS! I'm going to spend 30k more so my sdrive can be more refined and less sporty while maintaining my current performance numbers.