View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #96 (permalink)
M.Bonanni
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Fast
M.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to M.Bonanni

As pointed out, I will run out of track long before I hit the top speed of the car so acceleration and aerodynamics are the focus here. The other focus, not spending much money since this is a one-time event. The eventual focus for my car is still the road course so things that would be good for the standing mile, like skinny front tires, drag radials, etc. are out of the question since I will likely only be using them once. The goal here is to spend as little money as possible and by that, I mean the only thing I am spending on is sheetmetal and spray paint from Home Depot...and a new set of tires, which I need anyway and those tires are being purchased with the road course in mind, not a standing mile.

So the advantages my car already has over an off-the-showroom stock 370Z are as follows...

- 21 lbs. of weight savings from the Odyssey Battery
- Better acceleration from smaller OD, lighter wheels/tires
- Better grip off the line with 10mm wider, stickier rear tires.
- Adjustable compression/rebound to aide in a better launch.
- Lower ride height = less air going under the car = less drag.

Again since it's a one-time event I don't really want to spend any money on it. I have spent a total of $80 at Home Depot so far. Here's all I have planned to help improve my speed...

- Sheetmetal side skirt extensions to reduce drag by blocking air from entering under the car.
- Sheetmetal front air dam does the same thing at the front of the car.
- Sheetmetal front/rear wheel spats block the spinning tires from the air flow and forces air around them reducing turbulance/drag.
- Fold in side view mirrors to reduce frontal area and reduce drag.
- Tape & seal all seams on exterior to create a smooth surface and reduce drag.
- Brake duct block off plates (if I have the time and energy I may do a series of plates that block off part of the grille opening again, to create a smoother surface area and reduce drag.
- Remove passenger seat saves weight to improve acceleration.
- Remove spare tire/tools saves weight to improve acceleration.
- Run with as little fuel as I can to save weight and improve acceleration.
- Run max tire pressure to reduce rolling resistance.
- Adjust suspension to move weight to the rear under acceleration for better launch/traction in the low gears.

I also may try one or two runs with the stock rear muffler section removed. I know this doesn't add much, if any power but it will shed some weight. I have a feeling that the gaping hole left where the muffler used to be will negatively effect the aerodynamics to the point where I will actually be faster with it installed. Only one way to find out though.

By my calculations, the car should weigh in at around 3,350 lbs. with me in it come race day. Power wise, as of now, the car will be 100% stock right down to the paper air filters. I can't really think of anything else to do to the car that is easily reversable and free but if any of you have more ideas, let me know!
Function > Form
M.Bonanni is offline   Reply With Quote