View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
11Thumper
Track Member

Drives: '11 370Z, '01 S2k
11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_sk View Post
But in hindsight, I should have been more aggressive and just left
I never step foot in the dealership once serious negotiations start. Too easy to be emotional and not think clearly. Dealers are getting smarter about how they handle online sales but I still find it easier to get what I want, and I can do it from the comfort of my home with a cup of coffee.

When you do step foot in the dealership that's when you have the highest amount of negotiation power. You already negotiated a price that got you in the door, now you ask them to trim it a little more to get you to sign. They've already invested time in communicating with you and they likely did some prep on the vehicle for you too. If you walk out (who cares if you already agreed through email) they may have lost some $ with the prep, although not much. It's more about what their boss will say when they lose a customer like that.

Car dealer should never be trusted. You tell them what you will do, not the other way around. It may seem like a crappy process when you're buying but it's something you have to live with for a while.

Also, I typically 'act' like I'm buying a car once or twice a year. I get right up to the point of finishing all negotiations then I'm done. Sure, it wastes their time but it keeps me in practice.
11Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote