View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #115 (permalink)
fritz
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z M6
fritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to beholdfritz is a splendid one to behold

ChrisSlicks wrote:

No, I have plenty of vacuum. I double tap the brake pedal after long straights to make sure of it, gives enough time for vacuum to build off throttle and gives you a nice firm pedal. The ABS system in our cars doesn't require any vacuum, lack of vacuum just results in extra pedal travel and effort.

I Think you've got that up-side-down or typos, ChrisSlicks. ... for example a lack of vac "just results in extra pedal travel ...etc". Nope, it results in less travel and absolutely huge driver effort (over-servo'd on our cars, like a truck almost!)

Recommended reading:
Any paper on Brake Assist (ABS related) from Bosch or Teves or M-B or BMW or ? (same thing on Germanic cars) most or all of which have an "accumulator" (of pressure).

Now read the Japanese equiv by Masahiro Hara et al. Hard to find, but just Google "9%-S2-P-17" or "98-S2-P-17". It is not hard to understand.

(And is this BA nonsense eating up Vac reserves.......? It certainly will if
you try to Heel and Toe in serious (competition) situations....on our cars the H&T will activate BA to make the idea a waste. Thank God for Sychro-Rev-Match ......

I'll wager that USA systems copy the Japan ideas....hence the problems ???
....Interested to see what Lotus do as they have a "Japanese" relationship".

Most if not all systems conceal the BA pressure sensitive switching inside the ABS unit. (and in the case of VW have had severe expense problems just out of warranties).
Nissan's BA pressure switching is hidden in that ABS unit too.

Sooner or later I'll find a means to dump this truly awful Brake Assist nonsense.

Afterthought: Winners these days usually left foot brake and pedal juggling must include not touching the brake pedal 'til it's actually used. That will guzzle up the Vac in quick time, especially as BA would be in continuous activation from a twitching foot !!!

Sooner or later, BA Bye Bye,

Fritz
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote