View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #98 (permalink)
Guard Dad
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Silver A7
Guard Dad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
I don't believe the ABS system is active with the car turned off (I could be mistaken) so I'm not sure what this would prove.
He's only trying to simulate ice mode in a non-track environment.

The essence of the matter is his speculation that ice mode is not a software problem but a power brake assist problem. What he's saying is that heavy braking on rough surfaces requires such aggressive ABS action that the vacuum assist for the power brakes becomes depleted with a resultant loss of braking power. This would explain the reduced braking power and rock hard brake pedal because these are the same symptoms that occur when the vacuum assist is depleted or fails.

If he's right the fix could be as simple as adding a supplemental vacuum canister to increase the volume of the available vacuum assist to meet these high demand situations. His theory is very insightful and virtually DEMANDS investigation to see if it has merit. All I know is that if my track days were being compromised by Ice Mode I'd install a vacuum gauge to monitor the available vacuum in my power brakes and I'd be looking into adding a remote vacuum canister/tank.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 07-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Guard Dad is offline   Reply With Quote