View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Corporate666
Base Member

Drives: 02 BMW 3
Corporate666 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
Titanium is pretty hard to work with isn't it? I don't really know so i'm assuming so since it's it's one of the hardest and lightest metals out there. I think most companies (no offense to OP on this) try to use this excuse when it comes to their pricing. However, as I said it's very light.... but if you take the weight of the car and subtract the OE exhaust and add the Ti one and then do a horsepower per lb weight ratio, is it worth that little bit extra?

I think it's cool that companies make the Ti exhaust and i'd maybe buy one if it wasn't so high... under 3k really is cheap considering some of them are like 6 or more grand a piece... now THAT I don't get.
Titanium isn't particularly hard, nor is it particularly light.

Aluminum is much ligher than Ti, steel is much stronger. Titanium is a pretty good compromise between strength and weight, though, so it finds it's way into some pretty specialized uses where you don't need the strength of steel (or can't afford the weight), but you need more strength than aluminum (and don't mind it being heavier).

The problem with titanium is that it's *really* expensive to buy, and the scrap isn't really worth much at all. The price is mostly based on the manufacturing process. It takes more work and energy to make Ti than aluminum.

Also, because it has very limited uses in industry and commerce, it isn't mined/milled as much as other metals.

Sorta like ostrict meat... it's expensive, but not necessarily because it's better than a t-bone steak

Probably boring for everyone.

That Ti exhaust looks sweet, and I like how it sounds. Good luck to you, Pan!
Corporate666 is offline   Reply With Quote