View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #3544 (permalink)
kenchan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Ken, skip the circular polarizer and just wait for dusk or wake up at dawn to take pics outdoors. Direct sunlight shots will always look "washed" no matter what lens you use. You might be able to get away with it if the subject is in the shade, but even then its a bit tricky. A circular polarizer will cut reflections and looks great in some cases, but really not needed in most situtation. In other words, you don't want it on all the time.

Now all you need is a speedlight flash to take good indoor shots, a "fast" low aperture lens (like a 50mm f1.8 which is really inexpensive) and of course a tripod & remote trigger.

Also, in addition to a UV filter, a lens hood is a good addition if your lens allows it (might be unlikely if you have the 18-55mm kit lens though).
hey thanks for the insight. although i have some change and some toys to play with, i just dont have the luxury to choose which time to take picts. being a dad and working all week long i only get like 2-3hrs per morning on weekends to really play with my cars. which means, i dont get to choose sunny or cloudy. if rainy then obviously i just stay indoors. that said, i need a setup that could work on sunny days as well...and that means i need to have a circular polarizer, no?

nikon offers a factory hood for the lens, i think i will pick one up as well.
im not sure how the polarizer works, but does the hood need to come off when i use the polarizer?

you see, such newb questions... kinda like some of you folks asking... so how to use washlet. do i just press a button and enjoy myself? wow, that's some strong schit!!