View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 03:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crash
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 02 Corvette Z06
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm not a purist and I know that AT is better for racing (especially with a manual valve body) but lets face it... AUTO'S ARE BORING!

I've driven beater crap cars with a stick shift that were more fun than my automatic Trans Am. Stick shift is just FUN! I look for reasons to shift! I sometimes slow down just to shift, speed up, and SHIFT AGAIN!!!

Most of the manuals I've driven were 5 speeds, and I'm always saying to myself "Damn, I wish I had another gear to shift into!" LOL

My friends all race, I used to race, and if I was going to be racing this car like I used to race, I'd be getting the Auto... But I like manuals..

NOW FOR THE TECHNICAL STUFF

Lambos, Ferraris, etc... They don't have AUTOMATICS. They have manual transmissions with cylinoids that engage and disengage the clutches. They're completely computer controlled and those transmissions cost upwards of $30K. The Porsche Carrera GT transmission is $50K!!! And that's not for the name... I've worked with this tranny and I totally understand why it's that much money. (By the way, these transmissions break a lot)

Now as for Manuals and Autos (in every day cars) being more reliable and/or cheaper. Some of you are VERY wrong. Manuals are more reliable when used by someone who knows how to drive a manual well. Up until recently, Autos had a huge draw back... PUMPS!!! Also, you lose a LOT of energy through autos - not just because of the torque converter - but because planetary gear trains are a LOT of spinning mass that certainly eats power. In addition, Autos are HEAVIER than manuals as they contain fluids and a LOT more parts in today's transmissions. In addition, Manuals are cheaper and MUCH easier to fix. The big down side to manuals are the clutch and syncros. Syncros are easy to break (if you slam the gears like I do ) and clutches go out if you don't know what you're doing.

As for which is better... Purist or not, it's 100% about the driver, and nothing more. If you're REALLY good at driving stick, the manual is going to be better. If you're not so good at driving stick, or you do a lot with your hands when you drive, or you just want to make driving as simple as it gets, get an auto.

Personally, I drive manual like it's a second nature. I eat, txt on the phone, put my left hand out the window and shift and steer with one hand, and even wack-off sometimes all while driving a manual.

But we all have our opinions, right?
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote