View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #104 (permalink)
SharpByCoop
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '08 G37S - Graphite
SharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of lightSharpByCoop is a glorious beacon of light

Some updates I hadn't posted:

I've since sent and had the car returned with a FULL internal upgrade to the auto trans from Level Ten in NJ. They delivered their 'Bulletproof' modifications, and I opted for the torque converter as well. Costly, yes, but so is everything else I've got going on.

So far it's incredibly tight. The torque converter is awesome. Step into it anywhere and it jumps up 1000 RPM's right into the powerband. Boost and power are even more responsive.

All the components inside are heavy duty, and Level Ten has a spotless shop and 35 years of trans and race experience. Great stuff.

Shifts are firm, yet 2nd is still softer than 3-5th. Probably by design, and it also may be a function of software. Pat did not have the software to change the ECU, although he made manual and mechanical changes internally.

Now that I've gotten some miles on the trans with the changed torque converter, I'm in love. WOW!

Anytime you want more power, step into it and the RPM doesn't wait to climb. It jumps up and just starts delivering. My concern was there would be too much 'slippage' on the road. Not so. Only when it's demanded. SO I really can't tell any difference at low throttle and normal driving.

Big, NOTICEABLE improvement. As far as what this is worth for drag times, we are guestimating that this would allow the car to be able to launch with maybe 1.7-1.8 60" times. Save one tenth there and it's almost double at the quarter.

A problem I needed to find a solution for is how to hold the brake and spin the tires at the track. The VDC won't allow this. I was told the brake switch cancels the signal to the throttle. So, cancel the signal to the brake switch...

I simply unclipped the brake light switch (In neutral, car running--otherwise you can't start it or get it out of Park.)

Place it in 1st, brake on, and SPIN THE TIRES LIKE MAD! LOL. So the brake light is a holdback trigger.

I've just returned from Radio Shack, with a small momentary switch. I'm going to install it on the dash or console, and hook it inline with the brake light switch and press it when I need to do a burnout (and this would also allow some brake boosting at the line).

Although a toggle would do the same thing, for safety reasons, I'd hate to leave that switch to the off position. It's only disabled while I hold it. I'll have that connected by the weekend.

Going further, props to Sam Zawahara @ GTM. He called ME and we discussed what was going right and what was going wrong with my project. (I'm thinking it's a pretty good selling point to point to a shelf-tuned GTM TT kit with a lowly auto that has gone elevens. )

Upon my wishes, he's agreed to raise the (2) RPM limits in the ECU tune 400 rpm further. Not without reservation, but he agreed.

The car is at The Shop tonight and tuner Johnny Visconti (V-Flash) is going to do the changeover. I don't want to spin it that high, but it sometimes isn't in my control. The trans, even with the shift kit and rebuild has a giant delay from when you signal it, to when it actually shifts. I purchased and installed a set of the Black Betty grounding wires, as others stated it would sharpen this up. They were on a few weeks ago at the track. I could not tell one iota of difference, although my stereo sounds great!

More news as I learn.

Coop