View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
bboypuertoroc
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '06 Evo IX GSR
bboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond reputebboypuertoroc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@FontanaNissan View Post
I'm glad your motor is still running strong...just be VERY careful.

This taken from Forced Performance's website:

Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP RED Turbocharger Evo IX

"The FP Red turbocharger for the EVOIX is the only stock format turbo capable of delivering 550+whp with some examples recording over 600whp. Typical installations of this turbo result in mid to upper 400's on pump gas and mid to upper 500's on race gas depending on ambient temperature and related mods to the car in question. Typical boost threshold is about 3700RPM with some cars spooling up slower or faster depending on camshaft selection and other variables. The turbocharger should be operated at 22-24psi on pump gas and about 30-35psi spike dropping to 25-27psi by redline in race gas applications."

My cause for concern on this has stemmed from my conversations with Robert Young at Forced Performance. I am sponsored by Forced Performance with my STi and had considered the RED for my build before I had built internals. He strongly swayed me away from that as for both the EVO and STi with stock internals. Even with Cosworth internals, I upgraded my Green to the HTA Green and I run 100 octane plus meth!!!

I have seen 3 evo ix's go "Kaboom" in the last 3 months out here using the Red with stock internals (with race gas) pushing 30psi!

And as far as the Evo 7-9 vs X on track...i have driven them all on track...X is faster hands down.
The numbers stated on FP's site are halfway correct... in order to get mid-400s to the wheels it takes more boost than they say (on pump). That's where I'm at right now (460/381 according to DLL) at 30psi. 30psi with race gas would put way more power down than I'm making due to the differences in tuning the AFRs and timing (which I'm sure you know). The torque they're making over me is going to have a huge effect on the internals. Also, the turbo can be run upwards of 40psi on race (which is what it took for them to run 9's on it I believe).

Just as a safety precaution I do plan on upgrading my rod bolts because I want to push it futher on the stock internals (plan on running an Aquamist kit after I get back from Korea next year).

What they suggest for race gas is exactly what I'm running for pump (30psi tapering to ~26-27psi by 8k). There's MANY Evos running as much boost as I am with no issues... hell, there's plenty of Evos running bigger turbos and as much boost as me on pump and stock guts with no issues. It's all tuner dependant.