View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
Hambone1
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z MB 7AT Sport
Hambone1 has a spectacular aura aboutHambone1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
Here is a little history lesson for you.

The 1st and 2nd gen RX-7s were extremely popular sports car. They were popular because they had great performance for the buck and they were practical up to a point. It competed extremely well with the Z cars and the Supra. It was definitely a mainstream car as everyone knew what that car was. It was like the 350Z in the 80s. 1st and 2nd gen were success in every possible way, 3rd gen was a failure from a business point of view.

On the RX-8, the car was actually not a failure. It did what it was suppose to do, revived the rotary engine. The problem is that they didn't do a good enough job R&Ding, improving, marketing it or selling it. Once again, it goes back to the morons who run the company and the parent company at its time (Ford). If they had improved on the car to make it better, the car would be a even bigger sucesss. There is a reason why they sold way more 04 and 05 than all other years combined.
I just love remedial history lessons. Thanks Wikipedia! If you read closely, you will note I never said it was a failure as a vehicle on it's own merits, I said it was a sales failure. Car and Driver has an article today, discussing how the RX9 will not be happening, and the RX8 sold 291 units in the 1st quarter of 2011. That is a business failure, unless you happen to be an Italian manufacturer. It isn't even financially feasible to do a final run special edition, simply due to zero interest. Yes, it revived the rotary engine. Yes it sold a ton of cars in the first run. No it was not kept current or handled very well on the business end. You have valid points. However, going so far as to suggest I single handedly sunk the RX8 is slightly extreme. Next time might want tone it down a bit slugger
Hambone1 is offline   Reply With Quote