View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #60 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
I think it's a combination of being underpowered and also all of it's quirks. I'd be willing to guess that 50% or more of it's potential customer base barely know what a rotary engine is, let alone anything about it. If I'm car shopping, and suddenly find out the car I'm looking at is some engine I've never heard of, I'm gone.

I've heard those arguments for a larger or boosted engine, and it would be completely retarded. You'd get like 5 mpg, and if it was boosted you'd be swapping engines once a week from blowing them.

The thing that is strange, is that I realize it sold well early on, and the Wankel is part of their heritage and they don't want to completely get rid of it, but considering that they have some pretty decent motors in-house, such as the 4 banger in the MS3, and even the V6 in the MS6 isn't bad. Plus I'm pretty sure they can still raid the Ford parts bin, I don't know why they aren't snagging Eco-Boost and doing something with it
its people like you and retards at mazda that killed the car. the rx program had always been underfunded and undeveloped. morons at mazda are too conservative to do something ground breaking to the motor (ie turbo). the motor design itself is basically 25+ years old, think about gas mileage on cars from that era. the ford parts are a disaster, see problems with the mazda 6 v6 and mpv vans

mazda is still the only japanese car company to have won lemans, nissan and toyota didnt. the fuel mileage on the rotary is also better at high rpms. its a great racing engine, but terrible for highway cruise.
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote