View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
abecus
Base Member

Drives: rsx
abecus is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input everyone, it's really making the decision easier...I see a lot of negativity towards the rx-8 so just to clear things up:

1: I'm sorry for those who had flooding issues etc. but those issues were mainly on the 04-05 models due to last minute changes on Mazda's part. 06-08 isn't as bad, and 09+ (Series 2 aka 2nd gen) is a whole new car (reliability wise) the changed everything, I haven't heard a single flooding issue for the S2 models so far...they even changed the gear ratio so it feels a lot tourquier in 1st and 2nd (remember, I said feels)

2: The rotary engine itself isn't bad, it's hard for people to adjust to it after using pistions..rotary engines are meant to be kept at high revs not only to keep the engine healthy, but it's also reported that you get better gas mileage if you shift at 5k. You also need to redline it often to clear out the carbon, hence the popular saying "a redline a day keeps the carbon away" as for the oil, they use about a quart every 3k miles when isn't all that bad

3: Rotary engines are not low on torque. It's just that torque is pretty much dependant on displacement size..I garauntee you that a 1.3L NA pisiton engine will give you a lot less torque than the Renesis in the rx8. A 5.0L rotary engine will kill the Mustang and both HP and torque. They may not be effecient in mileage, but they are very effecient in size-power. I have to agree though that they do have a short life-span if you don't maintain it. A well maintained rx8's have lasted over 200k miles on the stock engine...they're not like piston engines where you can just "forget about it", they need to be taken care of. And Mazda did up the powetrain warranty to 100k/8 years standard

I did a lot of test driving in the 8 and I can't explain the feeling, it's just so smooth. If you closed your eyes and plugged your ears, you would not be able to tell if you were on 2k or 9k RPM, it's just that smooth.

Anyway I'm pretty sure the 370z is the way to go. I'll drop 1k (will that be enough?) on some decent coil-overs and that should be enough to at least match the rx8. And yea I guess I can't expect a perfect car until I move up to the Cayman's price point, but the Z does seem like a better overall package.
About the spark plugs and everything, I was just quoting what I read at rx8club, they change their plugs every 20k miles, I had no idea they lasted 100k in the Z.

1 last thing, anyone here ever drive a MT gen coupe? Maybe I can get a comparison of the gearboxes

EDIT: RX-9 FTW! They may have the electric motor, but it's for gas mileage, not power. The rotary will still suppy a large majority of the power. Anyway I don't mind it being a hybrid if it can still get the rumored 300hp, ~280tq and 30mpg highway while still remaining NA.

EDIT 2: Holy s**t did I really just type all that =O

Last edited by abecus; 05-27-2011 at 10:24 AM.
abecus is offline   Reply With Quote