View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecus View Post
trying to decide between this and the RX-8 R3 but the only comparisons I can find are of power, I'm wondering about the gearboxes and the handling. The 350Z seems to be known as a Japanese muscle car (so I've heard) so I'm wondering if the 370z is still power first, and handling second? My friend has an s2k which is why I'm leaning more towards the RX-8, it has a similar feel, but I'm trying to figure out if the handling/gearbox in the 370z is really that far off from the RX-8 or is it a minor difference? I'm coming from RSX so even the 8 is an improvement in power. Everyone who owns an 8 seems to be extremely satisfied with the driving experience, and everyone who owns the Z seems to enjoy the power, but few people mention the handling/gearbox

I have not driven an RX8, but I have driven a few 370Z's and I found the gearbox to be as slick as any. As to power, the 370Z is not a powerhouse, it is more of a handling car in my opinion, and from what little I could tell from driving it, it handles VERY well for as soft as the suspension is/as well as it rode.

And then there's other things such as maintenance..I heard it takes a good hour or 2 to change the coils/spark plugs in the Z whereas it's a 20 min job in the 8..same goes for the battery etc...and then there's the infamous Z insurance..

Spark plugs could probably go 100K miles before you even thought about them. The ones in my WS6 (not a VQ engine, but similar compression, and piston) went 149K miles and the car ran fine. Same for the coils. Any sports car will cost to insure, shop the rate, and you will find that your carrier matters more than the car probably. As to the battery, I wouldn't worry about it. How the battery is replaced shouldn't even factor in what car you buy unless it's a hybrid or something.

Since I'm asking this in the Z forums I guess I'm trying to give myself enough reasons to go with the Z instead of the 8. The Z looks like it has a good mix of Camaro and 8 (handling and power)

The 370Z strikes me as a great mix of the two, along with a decent amount of luxury and nice ride qualities. The RX8 is just underpowered, and the mileage is horrible if you plan any road-trips. I would also venture to say the VQ series is going to be more reliable in the long haul.

and yes, I did search..but only 2 or 3 posts came up that actually helped..and sorry if this is the wrong section, couldn't find a "competition" sub-forum
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...0b704c7a33.pdf

^Acceleration is pure crap, about like a crown vic, and handling isn't very good either imo. considering all the other compromises this car embodies.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...65b5481d51.pdf

^Acceleration is actually better than most family cars/crown vics, stops the same as the RX8, and in THIS test it gives up 1mph on the lane-change which is probably more a result of the 370Z's 3" greater width than any ability to change lanes/corner better on the RX8's part. The much higher skid-pad rating indicates that long, sweeping corners would put the 370Z FAR ahead of the RX8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Nephew has an RX-8. He says it's a serious gas guzzler. That car is simply not on the same level as our Z's. Besides, its style is many years old and it is due for a significant re-style and possible re-engineering. You'll have an out-of-date car with a huge appetite for fuel that will kill the budget. Nephew also talks about the rotary engine in the RX-8 as something to be cautious about.
I'd stay away. The Z is a whole different league up with n one of those problems.

To be fair, the 370Z body style has not changed that much from the '03 350Z. It has gotten more rigid and a few changes to the motor and other tweaks here and there, but all in all, the Z is overdue for a more competitive drive line and maybe some styling changes.

Then again, I like older designs. It takes a while to work the kinks out of things, and that is why I would rather have a last production-run car of an older style than a first production run car of a new style.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 05-27-2011 at 07:43 AM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote