View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist View Post
So i spent the whole day yesterday changing the brakes and flushing out the fluid. I went with stock rotors all around but with hawk hp+ pads. Now I am facing 2 problems after driving the car:

1- There are a lot of sqeals coming out of the pads when braking. I know the hp+ can be noisy but that doesn't feel right! Occasionally it can get pretty loud. Now in the service manual it says to put the shims onto the pads and then put the pads into the caliper, and to use grease between each part. I didn't do that because the hawks did not come with any shims, and the ones on the original stock pad were all bent out of shape and looked like crap, so i threw them out. I only greased the sliding pins. Should i apply some brake antisqueal to the back of the calipers, or maybe see if the dealer sells those stupid shims?

2- More importantly, my parking brake doesn't work! It slips a lot now. The lever engages the pads against the drum but it isn't generating the same friction it used to. Previously i can hold the car on an incline with just the parking brake, but now the car slowly rolls down the slope. Is it possible the new rotors have a slightly larger drum and the shoes aren't grabbing as well? Or maybe they are coated in oil and i didn't clean them properly. When I pulled them out of the box the rotors were soaked in oil! I thought I cleaned them ok but maybe I didn't?!?!?!?!
1) The HP+ pads will be pretty squeaky, but you can cut down on a lot or most of this by coating the entire backing plates with Brake Quiet. Get a tub of it from your local auto parts store and go to town.

2) You probably need to adjust the parking brake spindle to ensure the brake shoes are contacting the inside of the rotor when you engage the brakes.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote