View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
11Thumper
Track Member

Drives: '11 370Z, '01 S2k
11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future11Thumper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkouonchi View Post
It seems like its just pretty random and some peoples Z's run hotter than others. Unfortunately I got one of the ones that run hotter =(..
Try a different brand of oil and see if anything happens.

Quote:
Unfortunately I think I would have a hard time trying to get the dealer to do the oil cooler under warranty since I won't hit limp mode with regular driving and that's probably all they care about. I would honestly be amazed if they agreed that running 240 degrees in hot weather cruising at freeway speed to warrant a warranty-covered installation.
I didn't say to ask them to do the cooler under warranty, I said have them try to determine why it's running hot. As for their argument about what if the dealer claimis it's normal, you can do research and look into operating temp specs for the brand of oil you use and also keep in mind these engines are aluminum. The metal will fatigue and crack under the right circumstances. What temps will that happen? Maybe you should ask the super-intelligent dealer . Believe it or not, oil is more important for cooling & cleaning of engine components than it is for lubrication. Not to say it doesn't lubricate, obviously it does ...but damn near any oil has more than enough lubrication these days. Even Walmart dyno oil that's been on the shelf since Britney Spears was attractive...

Quote:
I remember one time when it was decently hot (90s, but not 100s) and I was driving at freeway speed (70-80) for quite a while and then hit traffic I actually saw it get up to the 245-250 range. Again too high for my tastes.
May I ask what has lead you to determine this yourself? If the oil cooler gives you a lot of 'piece of mind' then by all means have it installed.

Last edited by 11Thumper; 05-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.
11Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote