View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
houkouonchi
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '14 GT-R '10 M6 370z
houkouonchi has a spectacular aura abouthoukouonchi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Thumper View Post
You DON'T need to have oil changes done at the dealer! Just keep receipts for the materials and you're fine (as long as you do it properly of course). Best advice is to keep using OEM Nissan filters so they can't put the blame on an aftermarket filter...although that is tough to do.
Yeah I realize this but there is no way I would do it myself. They certainly are more expensive than say taking it to a jiffy lube but atleast if they fck up the install then I am covering my ***.

Also it just means no hassle if I do it there (they will have records) just in case I lost my own records/receipts showing my oil changes. Basically after the warranty nightmare I went through before makes me want to just makes sure I have all my bases covered. If that means an extra $20-40 every time I get an oil change than so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Thumper View Post
What are your oil temps during your daily 80 mile drive? Do you see the temps jumping way too high? I'm still breaking mine in but if I'm just driving I average 195-200 degrees and it doesn't budge. Highest I saw was 250 degrees in the mountains and I pushed it a couple times. It's interesting that while going uphill the temp climbs up pretty quick even if driving gentle. Going downhill it cools very quickly.
My 370z typically runs at about 220 in *cold* weather. In warm weather (which will be hitting soon in socal) it goes up to about 240. In cold (60-65 degree F) weather I took it on glendora mountain road (mountain pass) and after about 10 miles or so the oil temp got all the way up to 265. I didn't want to even get it to the point where it hit limp mode (and it just kept slowly going up at the same rate) I decided to pull over and let it cool off for about 20 minutes and then just drove back down home instead of finishing the course due to the high temps.

IMHO my Z runs higher than many and has some cause for concern. I plan on keeping my 370 for 10 years and will be putting lots of miles on it so longevity is important. I feel that running at 180-200 instead of 220-240 (which wouldn't 'damage' my engine per say) will keep my Z running better/longer. Longevity is actually the biggest reason I won't do FI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal 370Z View Post
Nissan official response:
The oil cooler is a Nissan Motorsports item and as such is sold without warranty, express or implied, unless expressly prohibited by law in which case the warranty provided is the minimum required by law. The installation of the Nissan Motorsports oil cooler does not, by itself, “void” the vehicle warranty. However any damage caused by the installation or use of this part is expressly excluded under the terms of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited warranty."
Ok, well I specifically asked about this and this is contrary to what the guy told me. Any idea where this is specifically stated on Nissan's website or somewhere? I decided to go ahead and do the oil cooler there but if I will be SOL if it broke down, wasn't installed correctly, etc. and it screwed up my engine. The extra $300 to have the Nissan badged/installed oil cooler isn't really worth it if its going to not be applicable to my warranty.

Last edited by houkouonchi; 05-03-2011 at 03:22 PM.
houkouonchi is offline   Reply With Quote