Thread: oil cooler
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
daisuke149
My *** is famous!

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 PW
daisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond reputedaisuke149 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to daisuke149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
Ok, let me put this more on your level.

Plate cooler gets oil too cold.
Manufacturer got rid of plate system and spent time/money to develop a cooler that would not make oil cold.
If oil not too hot, don't make oil too cold because of imagined problem.
Learn from big corporation. When big company spend money, usually viewed as a necessity.
Better?
Because the last 5 years have taught us that big companies will definitely spend money where they deem it necessary for the regular ol consumer.... yeah....

Quote:
-220* oil temps are just fine.

-This is a discussion about engines and oil and manufacturer names are just incidental.

-Plate style coolers tend to over-cool the oil. Further, unless you install a bypass for them, they aren't the safest setup. You can of course install a thermostat or buy a plate cooler with a thermostat in it, but the point remains that you are doing this because in your mind 220* oil temps are too hot.

-Check your "IMO" at the door IMO is worthless in a technical thread. For once try to support your emotionally charged BS with fact instead of Fanboi nonsense.
before your hashpoint of telling him to keep his IMO out (bolded for you), you simply stated your own opinion as well. Except for you didnt add "IMO". Otherwise as you told him, support your "tend" to statement.

Although I am sure that there are bad oil cooler setups out there. Same way there are situations where an oil cooler is also needed.

Quote:
No, you shouldn't.

GM used to put a plate/fin style oil cooler in the Z06. They no-longer do. The ZR1 doesn't have one, either.

Oil coolers cause problems on the street. Now GM has an oil-cooler that uses the coolant to regulate oil temp. It lives by the oil-pan and has no fins, etc. It simply moves the coolant and oil near each other to keep them roughly the same temp.

A lot of Z06 owners from previous years are only hitting 135-155* on the highway oil-temp. My car runs 185-200* on the highway, depending on ambient temp.

So MUCH BETTER for the car.

I would suggest you take a note from GM who REMOVED an oil-cooler like the one you want to install and developed a different one that won't cause as much issue.
Since you seem to be so passionate and informed regarding that style cooler, why not develop it yourself? sell it to everyone and make a killing on it? That is unless, its not gonna be easy to develop, take too much time and money, isnt worth it. And so we are left with the options presented to the OP in the first place.. a 19 or 25 row with a thermostatic plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfourteen View Post
So your suggestion is for us to not use oil coolers because GM doesn't, and come up with a custom system similar to what GM uses. Great, we'll get right on that.
Yah its funny that we should follow in GM's footsteps.. since they obviously employee the best engineers in the world. Definitely better than BMW, who does use a oil cooler on their cars instead of a "lets put coolant near oil!" box.
daisuke149 is offline   Reply With Quote