Thread: oil cooler
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
No, you shouldn't.

GM used to put a plate/fin style oil cooler in the Z06. They no-longer do. The ZR1 doesn't have one, either.

Oil coolers cause problems on the street. Now GM has an oil-cooler that uses the coolant to regulate oil temp. It lives by the oil-pan and has no fins, etc. It simply moves the coolant and oil near each other to keep them roughly the same temp.

A lot of Z06 owners from previous years are only hitting 135-155* on the highway oil-temp. My car runs 185-200* on the highway, depending on ambient temp.

So MUCH BETTER for the car.

I would suggest you take a note from GM who REMOVED an oil-cooler like the one you want to install and developed a different one that won't cause as much issue.

There's actually a lot about this I agree with.

A lot of Z owners jumped on the bandwagon, feeling the need to install an oil cooler on the car. It's simply not necessary for most users, and many street-driven cars won't get the oil up to proper operating temps with an oil cooler installed.

I've seen plenty of users bragging that their oil temps stay below 170 with their cooler. At that temp, most oils aren't properly protecting your engine. Ideally, you want temps of around 190 during commuting, and most synthetics these days work best between 220-250*, which is where you want to be during hardcore driving.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote