Thread: wstar's Journal
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #179 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Got my brake stuff installed. In a rush to get ready for the evening now, but some quickie updates on the process/parts:

Speed Bleeders: I'm an idiot, and didn't realize there are two bleeder screws per caliper on this car. I ordered 4, you need 8. I left the speed bleeders all on the front calipers at the end, and my final bleeding for air bubbles solo suffered a bit I'm sure as I swapped the speed bleeders in and back out in the rear to do those calipers.

RBF600: I bled 2.5 bottles through the system as I went, saving some in case I need to fix any leaks and top off. Once I get more bleeders I'll probably bleed another bottle or two through to be sure.

Braided Brake Lines: routing on the front ones is not obvious. I suspect the path I took is not what was intended, but I checked for clearance/stretch/etc and I think it will work, we'll see. Rears are easy to see. On the front I basically ended up with a straight shot between the hookup points, with a lot of the length coiled in a loop for suspension/steering travel (as opposed to wrapping around the arm/shock like the stock one).

Pad Swap: Akebono deserves an award for these calipers. Pad swap is super easy. Once you have the wheel off, you only need needle nose pliers and a small clamp to compress the pistons. Caliper doesn't come off the rotor to swap pads, you just pull two cotter pins, two large pins, and slip the pads in and out of the back side of the caliper.

Car is still on jack stands, I'm getting ready to go out for the night. Going to think about things more, doublecheck everything, put wheels on and test things tomorrow sometime.