View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Armonster
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370z t/sp/6mt
Armonster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown82 View Post
you would see cooler temps and better air flow using one side to bring in air and rearranging the other side to let the air out. that will allow more unused "hot" air to escape and allow for more cooler air to come in. your current setup is very flawed when it comes to the properties of Air if your trying to bring in cooler air. your basically making both those ducts fight for the same volume that one would be better off doing by itself.

trust me. growing up around my grandfather who spent his entire life working on air conditioners and swamp coolers and 5893475987 other cooling devices. and me being brought along. 1 route in and 1 route out always net better performance than 2 routes in and nowhere to escape. in this instance nowhere to escape means those filters are stuck having to suck in in very turbulent air thats being mixed with old and new air.

make one duct specifically to give that air coming in somewhere to escape other than the filters somewhere underneath if possible pointing backwards which would create a vacuum in a perfect setup. this will allow better airflow to the filter, reduce recycled heat soaked air to mix with the fresh air coming in and also act as a natural suction to help bring in air.

think of the top of the line computer cases the best cooling involves a fan to bring air in and one to suck air out. or better yet Turbine engines in airliners. one set of blades is pulling air in. the other set is pushing it out. this is the best and most efficient use of air's natural physics when the systems in not a sealed enclosure.

just my 2 cents. and im not trying to be mr negative just trying to help out
I agree with you in a general sense, but I'm not sure it really applies in this situation. Computer cases are different because you are just trying to get air flow across a surface, rather than forcing the air inside something. Here, we are not trying to get air flow across the filters, but rather air flow INTO the filters (and into the radiator). Furthermore, unlike a computer case or air conditioner, the air forced up there already has a number of escape routes (the most obvious one being through the radiator) that it will naturally flow to because of the pressure differences. And wouldn't you want air to exit through your radiator rather than an exhaust tube?

If anything, I think routing both pipes up there would be better, because (1) it would (slightly) increase the air pressure that the intake experiences; probably not enough to even call it a "poor man's supercharger" or anything, but who knows, and (2) assuming the air has sufficient escape routes, which it probably does as explained earlier, two pipes would put more cool air up there, to be used by your air intakes or sucked out through the radiator.

Finally, the point about turbulent air is not really relevant here. Air flow goes from laminar to turbulent at very low speeds, so once you start driving over 5 or 10 MPH (just guessing here, it's probably much slower) all of the air circulating around and inside every inch of the car is already turbulent. Not to mention that ducting isn't even smooth enough to maintain a laminar flow of water at driving speeds, much less air.

In conclusion, I give this DIY a

Last edited by Armonster; 03-23-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Armonster is offline   Reply With Quote