View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Modshack
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Definitely not, started using a wrench to tighten it down.
Interesting modshack, any thoughts on how to resolve this? Maybe stuff something into the bottom (or top I guess) of the shift knob to create a sound barrier?
The problem is that there is damping built into the base of the stock shifter that absorbs some of the Vibration and potential rattle. I don't think the B&M has that. When you change the resonant weighting of the knob you get vibration. It's not in the knob, but in the mechanism. The more precise tolerances of the B&M accentuate it. The Z does have a buzzy shifter to begin with. I had exactly the same problem with a Corvette short shifter I installed. As I recall last time I had the boot up, the stocker has a big base that probably has damping characteristics just like the vette...I don't have a pic, but it is similar to this stock Corvette unit:

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!

Last edited by Modshack; 06-26-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote